There are so many traditions when it comes to weddings such as you can’t see the groom before the ceremony or you have to wear something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue. Because of all the traditions it’s easy to loose you and your fiance’s personality in the midst of it all.
While you want to keep the ceremony short for your guests and you want to check off all the right traditions, you still want it to be a reflection of you and your fiance’s personality and beliefs. Below are some ways to make your ceremony feel more personal.
How To Make Your Wedding Ceremony Personal
- The Officiant – The officiant of the wedding is one of easiest ways to add a touch of your personality to your wedding. My dad is a pastor and I always grew up wanting my dad to officiate the wedding. This could have been an awkward exchange since he walked me down the aisle, but we had a minister that we were close to at our church start the ceremony and ask who gives this woman and then my father went up and switched the pastor and Jared and I walked up the stairs after. I have also seen friends officiate along with pastors or Sunday school leaders. This is a special bond to share with someone so make sure it is someone who is important in your life.
- The Music – The music can easily set the mood of the ceremony as well express who you are as a couple. Jared and I are more of a traditional couple, so we opted for all instrumental music, but if that’s not you’re going for something a little more non-tradition and upbeat!
- Two Lives Becoming One – There are many traditions when it comes to this part of the ceremony. Find one that feels like you. We chose to take communion because that’s something we do every Sunday and it’s very personal to us. I also love the idea of Blending Sand or Lighting a Unity Candle or even a new tradition of washing each other’s feet.
- Vows – Jared and I chose to recite the traditional vows because frankly, it would have given me too much anxiety to write my own, but vows are also another easy way to showcase your personality.
- Specials – There is definitely an opportunity for someone to sing, say a prayer or recite a verse if this is something you want. I recently went to a wedding where the grandmother of the bride read scripture and it was the sweetest thing!
One of the best advice my wedding planner gave me was that this is your wedding you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to and we can do anything you want to. This is so true! This is yall’s day if you don’t like a tradition don’t do it! If you have a crazy idea that is non-traditional do it!
What did you do to make your ceremony feel like you? Let me know in the comments below!