When I was researching what to wear to the Masters I had the hardest time finding any recommendations. I found a few pictures on Pinterest but didn’t have much to go off of. It seemed like no one could recommend what to wear, so as a first-time spectator I am here to help! Below are some tips on what women should wear to the Masters.
What Women Should Wear To The Masters
I’m not a big golfer, to be honest, I know nothing about golf, so I spent a lot of time people watching since I didn’t have my phone. During my time people watching I saw 3 different types of women at Augusta National.
- Serious Golfers: You can tell the serious golfers right off the bat. They have their cute golf skirts, polos and/or pullover and sneakers on. They don’t care about anything but watching the tournament.
- Locals: These people have been to the Masters more times than you can count. They’re rocking cute chino shorts, sweater and likely an old Masters hat. This isn’t their first rodeo and they’re likely there on business.
- Stylish Cuties: When walking through the parking lot I was like, “dang it, I’m for sure way overdressed.” However, as the day went on I saw more an more people dressed like me. There were a lot of Lilly dresses and a lot of seersucker, most of which were dressed down with hats or sneakers. Don’t get me wrong, I did get some strange looks from serious golfers, but we were both there for different reasons.
I loved my outfit! I felt like it was very me and very golf appropriate. We did a lot of standing, but we did buy chairs to sit, so I never had an issue wearing a dress. There’s also stands throughout the course, so rarely did I see someone sitting on the grass. I debated bringing a jacket or not but I am so glad I did because it was pretty chilly until about noon.
5 Things I Definitely Recommend Wearing/Bringing
- Sneakers: I saw a lot of girls wearing sandals, but we did SO much walking I’m so glad I went with sneakers. It also rained the night before so sneakers were helpful to avoid any muddy areas (which were minimal because of the immaculate grounds).
- Light Jacket: Like I mentioned it was chilly in the mornings, so I was happy to have some coverage to keep me warm.
- Small Purse: The Masters is VERY strict, so a small crossbody bag is ideal. All bags must be no larger than 10″W x 10″H x 12″D. A crossbody is the best option due to all the walking and standing, I didn’t want to have something to lug around.
- Hat: A hat was a must have for me, one because I was having an awful hair day, but two because it protected my scalp and face from the sun. The last thing I wanted was to get sunburned.
- Rain Jacket/Poncho: Small rainstorms are common this time of year, so you don’t want to be stuck outside in the rain stranded. I bought a cheap emergency poncho and just kept in my jacket pocket. Thank goodness I didn’t have to use it.
There are definitely different routes you could go down when choosing your outfit. Now that I’ve been once I’ll probably opt for something a little more casual if I get the honor to go again.
So true! Very little on Pinterest on what to wear to the Master’s as I looked last week before I went. I was so glad I didn’t wear sandals! Definitely a wide range of outfits. Such an amazing experience even for this non golfer.
Lora Lane says
What should men wear
I recommend a golf polo and khakis with comfortable shoes! I would also recommend a quarter zip in case it’s chilly.
Thank you SO much for this post! I am going this year and have been coming up pretty empty on my searches of “what to wear to the Masters”! It really is common sense for the most part but it helps so much to hear opinions from those who have been there. For example, for about a minute I contemplated cuter shoes or sandals but nope, on the hunt for the perfect walking tennis shoes now! I’m thinking white or colored ankle length pants and then just have to determine the right top/jacket combo. Again – thanks so much for writing this!
I am SO glad you found this helpful! I know I struggled to find anything about what to wear, so I thought I would share my experience. Sometimes it’s just better to have reassurance!
I am attending this year and I’m contemplating wearing a Sonnet James dress. It’s white with black stripes and 3/4 length sleeves. Will I stick out? Will I be too hot? Would love your advice. If not that, then maybe a midi button down shirt dress?
I think that would be cute and I don’t think you would stick out. I would highly recommend dressing it down with sneakers though. I don’t think you’ll be too hot either. I wore my denim jacket most of the day and it was perfect!
I am attending the Masters this year for the first time with my husband, we will be corporate guests. I have been scouring the internet looking for suggestions as to what to wear and I am so happy to have found this. Your comments and suggestions have been so helpful. I was waffling back and forth between cute sandals and sneakers and… Happy to report that I just ordered the super cute Keds crocheted sneakers ( your exact style is sold out but they have a new option for this year that I loved).
Thank you for the great tips!
I love this post! I am a first timer and have no idea how to dress. I was wondering if white jeans are in an option? Do women wear them?
Yay! I am so glad you found this helpful. You will see people in various attire. Some more dressed up like I was and also ladies in golf attire like a skort and a polo. White pants are totally appropriate. We bought chairs to sit in and then used bleachers at Amen Corner, so you shouldn’t have to worry about sitting on the grass or getting them dirty.
Kathy Ferguson says
Thank you for sharing your suggestions and experience! I was also concerned about whether or not to carry a purse. I bought Allbird sneakers, anticipating all the walking and standing. They’re super comfy! Haven’t worked out my attire yet. But was thinking along the lines of golf attire. Happy to hear that will work!
Eliza Alexander says
Thanks soo much for sharing! I’m going this year and this post was very helpful. I wanted to know if you had any issues bringing a camera into the course. Also what camera did you bring?
I am SO glad this helped! I didn’t have an issue bringing a camera in but we went on a practice day the rules are a little different. You can’t bring your phones in as cameras so we brought out Samsung NX300 because it has a slim body and a quiet shutter. I did see a lot of people with disposable cameras though.
Thank you for sharing! I was thinking I would strike out on this question, but nope I’m happy to have found yours and the comments! I’m attending the Augusta National Women Amateur’s and was thinking to dress in golf attire or a skort but I wasn’t thinking about a hat. Also happy to know about the chairs! Thanks again for the info😁
You look fabulous for a day at the Masters! I first went back in 2005, one of the first dates with my now husband…I wore the CUTEST wooden heels and looked adorable…and my shoes were RUINED by the end of the day. I got weird looks from folks on the way in, and I quickly understood why. It’s a hilarious memory now, but I sure wish your post had been around then! I’ll opt for some white pants and a seersucker pullover this year. And keds! 😉
Local here, y’all. All of these points are accurate. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen and bring chap-stick. It might be a beautiful day but after 10 hours in the 68 degree sun, you will get burnt. All of the local southern gals wear seersucker or Lilly dresses, it’s sort of tradition. You can totally wear more of a golf get-up with shorts and a golf shirt. Angela, you are so right about COMFORTABLE shoes. Unless you only plan to be there an hour or so, the Masters is huge with large open areas between each hole which basically means you will get 20,000 plus steps in if you’re there for the day. The grass is so beautiful and rich that it often stains those pretty white shoes so maybe don’t wear your favorite crisp white canvas shoes 🙂
The most important thing to wear is a big ol’ smile and to come to our city to have a great time!
Spot on! I opted for capris, sneakers, golf shirt, and a visor. Also picked up a $20 clear small backpack at Walmart that was great for keeping up with our souvenir cups, 99 cent rain ponchos, sunscreen, lipgloss, car keys, etc. Attended on Thursday and where it had rained earlier in the week made the grounds no place for sandals! And there is a LOT of walking.
I just had to share! As I was looking through this, I saw the photo of the back of your head and thought to myself “her hair looks so good!” Then I continued reading and saw the part where you said the hat was a must because you were having a bad hair day…Looked great to me!
You’re so kind! Thank you!
Cammi Pride says
I see you wore a jean jacket. Did you have any issues with the no denim rule? I want to wear this chambray dress in 2 weeks but am scared that’s a no go with denim rule.
I didn’t have any issues! I’m assuming this is more specific to actually denim jeans.